Posted on: 30 July 2015
Refinishing your bathtub can be an extremely satisfying project. However, before you even contemplate taking on this do-it-yourself project you should have all the necessary materials in place. You should also know exactly how you should proceed in order to ensure that the project is a success. Here is a list of the materials you will need and the vital steps you will need to take to make your project successful.
- Epoxy Tub kit
- Paintbrush or Spray gun
- Sanding paper
- A Mask
- An abrasive cleaner
Preparing Your Bathtub
- You will need to thoroughly prepare your bathtub before you begin. This means that you should use an abrasive cleaner of your choice to thoroughly scrub all grease and grime out of the tub. You can also apply some degreaser to the tub to remove grease.
- Next, you should wet your sandpaper and use it to thoroughly sand the inside of the tub to remove any excess grease and grime that may have been left over from the cleaning. Thoroughly sanding the tub also creates a rough surface which will allow the paint that you apply to the tub to adhere better to the surface.
Applying Paint To The Bathtub
Before you start applying the paint in your kit to the tub you should open all windows. Put on your mask and turn on fans in the bathroom. This is done to allow you to breathe easier while you paint the tub, since the epoxy in tub paint has a very strong odor.
Here are the instructions on how to paint the tub.
- Always brush in the same direction
- Your first coat should be spread thinly over the surface of the tub.
- Apply your second coat an hour after the first.
You can also use a spray gun to paint the tub although this option is a little more expensive. The best types of spray-gun to buy is a professional grade model, since this will give you the best finish. If you use a spray gun instead of a paintbrush you should still make sure that you apply a light spraying of paint first then wait an hour before spraying the bathtub again.
Refinishing your bathtub is one of the most satisfying do-it-yourself projects you can complete. Having all the right tools and following the correct procedures is the best way to ensure that the completed job is one that you will be proud of.
For professional renovation help, contact a company such as Tub Solutions Inc.Share